Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Light That Burns Twice As Brightly Lasts Half As Long

          The radio station at work, WBPM, is really plugging for their Huey Lewis/Joe Cocker concert in August. Today, they played three Huey Lewis songs back to back, twice. I've had about enough of that band after weeks of this station. I also spent some time pondering the nature of rap interludes. Do musicians include rappers in their work because rap sells and are personally indifferent to rap or dislike it? Alternately, do they genuinely feel that rap is a good stylistic choice and that it's the new wave of music? Later in the night, Brian and I hung out and watched Blade Runner, a movie that's normally very good, but becomes a thousand times better under certain conditions. It's a great science fiction story with some intriguing philosophical dilemmas ("If robots replicants think and feel like humans, what are the ethical limitations when dealing with them?") and incredible special effects for its time. The lighting and sets are grandiose, but cleverly and subtly designed. Rutger Hauer is fantastic as the main antagonist, replicant Roy Batty, and Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford, as usual. Due to its flashy sci-fi slickness, I tend to forget that there are some gory bits (spoilers!) (notably any time a replicant dies, Roy breaking Deckard's fingers, Roy pushing a nail through his own hand, and especially Roy crushing Dr. Tyrell's head.) I was more satisfied with this film tonight than any other time I've seen it.
          Quote of the day:
"Just gas 'em out. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." - Father

No comments:

Post a Comment