Notes for this entry were lost.
I flew solo in a client meeting today, basically interviewing the client about some problematic tenants. I also learned what GEICO stands for (Government Employees Insurance Company -- whoa!) and received a call from my co-op advisor, who assured me that I would receive assistance in relation to my reduced hours. I don't know how much they really can do, though, because I asked that they not pressure Jeremy to give the hours back. (In the long term, I figure that a little less money and a decent recommendation will serve me better than more pay and bad blood with my first employer in my field.) Today's Rorschach Google doodle is awesome: Click. After work, I hopped the Green Line to Longwood and walked down to the Longwood Medical Center, where I was scheduled for an interview at the Inn at Longwood Medical. I found my way inside and discovered that the place is a huge complex, and the hospital itself melds with a food court, hotel, and bar/grill. I went to the Inn and asked after my interview, and an Asian lady who appeared to be a manager greeted me and asked if I was joining them. I replied yes and she led me into this conference room full of Asians and up to a table with documents in Chinese(?). I guess there was some kind of Asian-centric job conference going on (everyone in there was azn) and she thought I was involved in that. By the time I extricated myself from that situation, I had about five minutes to go before my appointment. I called my interviewer and got a voicemail, though at least I was finally able to figure out her gender. Eventually, someone in the Inn was able to help me out, and I interviewed first with the aforementioned HR person (a Northeastern grad!), and then with a bubbly assistant manager, and finally with the general manager, a burly man with a disarmingly high-pitched voice. All this for a waiter position! Apparently, working at the Longwood is weird because there are a lot of families of children with terminal illnesses who come in regularly and become familiar with the staff, and in the assistant manager's words: "They come in every day and you get to know them, and then they stop coming. And it's sad in a way, but also happy because their struggle is over."
Quotes of the day:
"Big boats, fast cars!" - Lori, re: reasons for becoming a lawyer
"Am I happy for you?... I'm actually too busy to be happy for anyone." - Mark
"He's an inarticulate pussycat in court, it's very funny to see." - Jeremy
"I extinguished it." - Jeremy, re: a bad motion by the opposition
No comments:
Post a Comment