Tuesday, January 14, 2014

...But I Won't Fall Down

Notes for this entry were lost.

          I was predictably sleepy in E. Science today. There's a guy in three of my classes who looked vaguely familiar; we got to talking and I realized he had taken International Relations with me. At the time, he looked like Ron Jeremy -- huge black mustache and long hair. Happily, he's cleaned up and much more approachable now, and will hereafter be referred to as Scott-2. At lunchtime, I went down into the bowels of Lake Hall to meet with my co-op advisor and straighten out what I need to do on that front. The rest of my break was spent reading for Budgeting & Taxation and playing Minecraft.
          B&T was dominated by an intense conversation about Schumpeter's creative destruction, Friedman's monetarism, and Keynesian economics. By the time AWPL rolled around, I was wiped. Luckily, a discussion of how courts come to decisions sparked enough interest to keep me going. I took a regrettably brief pit stop at home before leaving for the Prison Book Program. The program was jumping tonight, and we sent out 108 packages. Something I love about our work is that the progress is concrete. We can point to that number and say, look, we helped 108 people expand their minds today! I also met Sheep, a remarkably quiet friend of Wendy's, and we worked together for most of the evening. Iris and I shared a nap, pasta and cannoli before I finally got down to catching up on entries.
          Quotes of the day:
"If your main concern is Pareto optimality, you're not going to be reelected." - Scott-2
"No wonder you can't hit anything, you're carrying 17 potatoes!" - Dan's mother, re: Skyrim [courtesy of Dan]
Re: poverty...
Guy in class: "Well, they could be better off..."
Prof. Jimenez: "Who cares?"

No comments:

Post a Comment