Notes for this entry were lost.
I spent ten minutes hunting for a textbook before I realized I'd downloaded that one as a PDF. Karma bites -- but then, so does lack of money. I zoomed through the reading for Advanced Writing for Prelaw (hereafter, "AWP") before running to make it to E. Science. The class seems okay -- it's pretty elementary stuff and there are lots of non-science majors -- but Helmuth is already in the habit of rehashing the reading during lecture. During my lunch break, I found three abandoned recycling crates full of vintage vinyl in the alley behind our place. I hauled them into my room and returned to finishing my work for other classes. Budgeting and Taxation was held in the basement of IV today, in a room still too small for the class; we had another hearty debate, this time on the free market and homo economicus. I've never taken a true economics course before, and in terms of serious discussion, this class has been a ringer. During Professor Jimenez's lecture, I feel the way I did in Modern Political Thought last year: enthralled with learning. He also has a maddening (but amusing) habit of second-guessing the students. "A true free market can't exist, because x, y, and z." "Why not?" AWP went by in a blur as we debated the constitutional merits of prayer in public schools. The focus of the class is on the how of legal writing, not necessarily the content, but one needs a rudimentary understanding of the material to understand what goes into an effective narrative and what does not.
After class, I picked through the stacks of records. The collection is beat up something terrible, but there's still some gold in there. Among the numerous soul and disco records, I found Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, and an ancient single of Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight". Also: Barry White, Salt-n-Pepa, and the Beastie Boys. My first instinct is to get my father's record player up here and listen to these bad boys, and my second is to sell most of them. Alaric, Clay, Jasmin, Jared and I went to Tasty Burger for a bite and good company. The rest of the night was spent drinking whiskey sours and chatting with Iris, Alaric, Katie and Sean.
No comments:
Post a Comment