hon. mention: Misery
10. And Then There Were None
9. To Kill a Mockingbird
8. Fight Club
7. The Great Divorce
6. Freakonomics (& sequel)
5. A Storm of Swords (& the rest of ASOIAF)
4. American Psycho
3. Desert Solitaire
2. The Road
1. Starship Troopers
I had to change the toner in a large office copier, and it felt like a modern-day shamanic ritual: bang both ends of the container with a closed fist, shake it back and forth, throw the virgin into the volcano. Next, I narrowly avoided a blunder with the Keurig machine, remembering to put a mug under the spout at the last moment. A little while later, I was standing in the sandwich line at Viga when a large quantity of water abruptly exploded out of the ceiling; some lady screamed and I quickly sidestepped the sudden rivers running all over the floor. Work continued without incident after this; I guess the weirdness quota was achieved for the day.
Alaric required last-minute coverage at the pep band's orientation activity fair table, so I rushed home, changed and booked it to Curry. With the assistance of Clay and Andy F, I recruited several prospective members. Highlight: calling out to a guy who lingered and then moved to walk away, at which point we discussed band and he seemed legitimately interested -- and plays trumpet! Boom. Clay, Stephanie and I converged on Wings Over (the second time in as many days for me) and experienced the worst customer service I've ever gotten there. Wings Over is not gourmet eating by any stretch of the imagination, but typically one can pay and receive food without a problem. First, we waited for about fifteen minutes to have our orders taken while employees were visibly not working in the back. When we did order, we were repeatedly cut off by people calling on the phone, as if the customer that's there first and in person doesn't take precedence. The guy at the counter forgot our sodas, which we'd paid for, and I had to wait another several minutes for him to return to the front to ask for them. He also forgot Stephanie's celery, claimed not to have any left when asked about it, and when pressed, magically produced some. Even the chicken, normally up to a certain standard of goodness, was poorly cooked. I can't claim that I'm not gonna go back -- that would be patently untrue -- but I'm gonna give it a rest for a little while. Highlight: Grape Fanta addictions.
After the wings debacle, Steph and I went to her place on Huntington to hang out. According to her, my mere presence inspires cleaning. I pitched in to help organize her stuff and trash a pink rug, abandoned by the previous tenants, that was heavy with a stench not unlike rotting cheese. This thing reeked so bad that one whiff had me retching. When the cleaning was mostly out of the way, we got lost in the vapors and had a long talk about philosophy, relationships, different ways of perception, and how the world works. She also gave me a balling Brooks Brothers tie, a S.S. Huntington shirt, and a list of cool stuff to check out, which I reciprocated with my own list. I was home late again, and that was that for work.
After the wings debacle, Steph and I went to her place on Huntington to hang out. According to her, my mere presence inspires cleaning. I pitched in to help organize her stuff and trash a pink rug, abandoned by the previous tenants, that was heavy with a stench not unlike rotting cheese. This thing reeked so bad that one whiff had me retching. When the cleaning was mostly out of the way, we got lost in the vapors and had a long talk about philosophy, relationships, different ways of perception, and how the world works. She also gave me a balling Brooks Brothers tie, a S.S. Huntington shirt, and a list of cool stuff to check out, which I reciprocated with my own list. I was home late again, and that was that for work.
No comments:
Post a Comment