Over the last few days, I got a few things ready to go to the new apartment, but today was the day I started packing in earnest. Before I could box anything up, I put it all away and photographed my room with Stephanie's camera. My plan had been to photograph it in small portions, but time was too much of a constraint. In the afternoon, the pep band threw an ice cream social for incoming freshmen at the Snell quad (no idea why it's called a quad -- it's circular and there is no grass.) We quickly doled out a cooler full of ice cream and talked with the freshmen, who were encouragingly willing to speak with other packs of their kind. If even half of the people who signed the interest form actually join up, the pep band is going to be huge this year, Upperclassmen present included Lizandro, Malcolm (and his dad), Rachelle, Katie E, Sara, Chelsea, Alaric, Brendan, Nathan, Matt T, Skylar and Sam B. To my eyes, the social was a roaring success.
There was a crazy evening to follow. I smoked with Alaric and shared a sealed craft beer that I found among a bunch of open ones with Malcolm, Iris, Lizandro, Nathan, and Sara in my now-very-messy room. Nathan and I then hit the road to make it to Sin City: A Dame To Kill For at the Regal, but first I had to drop off Stephanie's camera at IV. She was doing rounds when we got there; by the time we left, there were 15 minutes to go. We hustled across the Fens and took a roundabout route past Fenway Park, where we could hear music playing. Tom Petty was performing in the park that night, so we took our time passing by and sang along with "Refugee". We were already running late, and when we finally got into the theater. a long line awaited us at the ticket counter. We waited patiently, obtained our tickets for a doable $14 with student ID (keep in mind, this is the 3D showing) and were directed to the deepest possible screen into the theater, #1 -- the last on the left. We rushed in to find the very last preview a few moments from ending. Our timing could not have been more perfect.
The theater was more or less empty, so we had our run of the seats. We picked out a spot about 1/3 of the seats from the front and directly in the middle. To the point: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For is (a) PERFECT for 3D, and (b) a great sequel. If the first movie is a 10 out of 10 -- which it is, in my estimation -- this one is about an 8.5. It provides a lot of backstory on some favorite characters, and the cast is as ridiculously overpowered as that of the first movie. See: Christopher Meloni as an obsessed cop, Eva Green as an übertemptress, and Josh Brolin as [redacted]. Oh, and Ray Liotta. And Christopher Lloyd. And Lady Gaga. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt. With a couple of exceptions, nearly all of the major players return from the first film, though the dynamic duo of Elijah Wood and Rutger Hauer is sadly lacking. An uncanny lookalike was found to play the late Michael Clarke Duncan's Manute; meanwhile, Brittany Murphy's absence stuck out like a sore thumb. I was very pleased with the development of Senator Roark, but less so with JGL's character. Extra points for creepy Jessica Alba fanservice. A+ all around.
Post-movie, Nathan and I headed back to Tasty Burger. On the way, we found a nearly actual-size Red Sox "batting helmet" that once held popcorn, a worthy new decoration for our hopefully worthy new apartment. We decided to get our burgers to go and got in line. A group of five or six freshmen was in front of us, which we deduced after 1) they discussed the Freshman Day of Service (lol) and 2) at least one of them, in her first visit to Tasty Burger, decided to just get fries. We were in the company of blasphemers, then. At the counter, I was faced by a mega-cute girl-next-door-type cashier and was thus forced to tip well. The order numbers had just maxed out when we got to the front of the line, so I was order #0 and Nathan was #1. Having acquired our food at last, we walked back home, and it was all I could do to avoid ripping into the burger on the way.
Passing West Village H, we saw an OSCCR incident unfolding. Three cops were standing around two girls; one was sitting on a bench, tilted forward and looking both defeated and very sick, while the other was standing and conversing with one of the officers. The student will be reported to OSCCR. We were on Columbus when the next strange thing happened: we noticed some signs or posters among the garbage on the street. Upon examination, they proved to be a few of the N-Zone's old game posters -- a couple of tweets from Delaware(?) players, such as "I would eat beyonce butt", and the picture of Jafar. This raised some unsettling questions. Why were they thrown out? Perhaps more importantly, why were they in the trash of those misogynistic bros that live on Columbus and have the stupid flashing lights? Are (were) those guys the N-Zone? Mysteries abound. Once safely in my room, I opened the wrapper to find a perfectly rare mushroom burger, devoured it in fewer bites than is really practical, and crashed on top of my covers.
No comments:
Post a Comment