Friday, January 30, 2015

Let Us Cook

          The theme of Jared's 21st birthday was an enforced lack of theme. Jules, Emily and I acquired personal boxes of wine to carry around for the duration. Once again, Ryan L kept things moving on the dance floor, and once again, a lot of people got hammered. The place was packed; it took me two minutes to travel the six feet from the stairs to the basement stairs. I talked with Elizabeth and Maddie (wearing a bike helmet) down there for a while, but further attempts to spread people out were futile. I then traveled around the party and got everyone I could find to sign my wine box. When I wasn't doing that, I was either dancing or discussing band politics with Matt T, Justin, Jules, and Connor G. After some time had passed, Emily asked to leave and I lent her my keys. I stayed a while longer and left with Jules.
          We headed home, where I rang the bell several times, but no one woke. We only got inside and upstairs by virtue of another resident's kindness. Knocks on the door went unanswered; Alaric finally got home and let us in. We shook Emily awake and I finished out the last two episodes of Breaking Bad, in which events played out much as I expected. They were also fantastic television, some of the best I've seen. And now that I've watched the entirety of both, I have to judge that The Sopranos rates better overall. Both shows had mastermind creators -- someone recently described Vince Gilligan as an "evil genius" -- who paid loving attention to detail. Both had oft-unlikeable protagonists in harrowing marriages. Breaking Bad was perfectly paced. I think The Sopranos generally built characters of equal or greater complexity, but I have to concede that Hank feels more like a real person than any other character I can think of, from any show. Within his personality, the mixtures of bravado with tenderness, geniality with bullheaded tenacity, and cunning with simplicity are remarkably done. His role in the development of the plot is also excellent. Aside from him, my favorite characters were the enigmatic Gustavo, Mike (a/k/a the only level-headed character in the show), and beautiful, purple-crazed Marie. It feels good to finally discard my fear of having this show spoiled for me. On to The Wire!

No comments:

Post a Comment