Monday, November 26, 2012

Beard of Defiance

          I shared lunch with Heather today for the first time in a long while. Neither of us really knew what to say, but it felt good to reconnect after not having spoken. My night was less ambiguously enjoyable; I joined Harrison in a trip to Allston for a small show at an artists' collective. We hung out with two of Harrison's friends, Alex and Eric, and saw four performances. First was a guy who played electric guitar and sang, which was underwhelming, though Harrison said he usually has a full band backing him up. He was followed by a standard soft-voiced-indie-chick-with-acoustic-guitar, who was pretty awesome. The third act was a hilarious performance by Joe DeGeorge (of Harry and the Potters semi-fame) called "In Glove With Bach," wherein he impersonates Bach and plays a Bach piece six times over, each time wearing a glove of increasing thickness and weight. Using a cranky-sounding electric keyboard, he first played the piece without gloves (flawlessly), then switched up to latex gloves, thin suede gloves, ski gloves, thick mittens, and finally boxing gloves. The final act was the real reason we came: punk hero Paul Baribeau, whose beard is even more voluminous in person and whose performance of "Never Get To Know" nearly moved me to tears. The whole show was very informal and light-hearted, and everyone had a great time.
          Quotes of the day:
"Can we bridge the gap... or Kant we?" - Professor Lovely
"I feel like I could catch hepatitis at any moment..." - Alex
"Cunard Street. We called it Goonard, a.k.a. Thugz Mansion." - Eric
"It was Goon Squad. On the Radio, Off the Radio." - Alex
"It's great to be Bach in Boston. I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I would've been here sooner, but traffic was all Bach'd up!" - Johann Sebastian Bach

No comments:

Post a Comment