Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Drunk Driver Rises

          This morning, I ran the Fens lap in 22 minutes, beating my previous time by two minutes as well as a strong headwind and slush underfoot. This reminds me of the cross-country days when I was pretty mediocre, but no one else performed better under terrible weather conditions. (Much like Olaf from Advance Wars.) After my run and a nap on the couch, I steamrolled through my take-home MPT midterm: three essays in about four hours. After class, Alanna and I went to the Symphony to see work by Sierra, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky. The conductor was superb and the performance rather good in general. I then watched The Dark Knight Rises with Eric, Alaric, Iris and Sean, which I found to be a great movie, though not on quite the same level as the first two films. Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine's roles both felt very tangential, but Anne Hathaway played a great Catwoman (though I universally despise the character) and Marion Cotillard is a babe of babes, so things weren't all bad. At the end of the night, Harrison and I agreed to take a walk to clear our heads. While crossing Parker Street, we witnessed someone cut the wheel, spin out and crash into the front of Burstein Hall, driving on a straightaway with no other vehicles. The driver jumped out of the car and shouted to someone inside, "Wake the fuck up! Wake the fuck up!" My thoughts at this point: Someone is either passed out drunk, or dead. It turned out to be the first option, and Wentworth police, NUPD, and BPD all arrived within minutes. Harrison and I spent some minutes asking each other if we'd dreamed the crash, then marveled about the likelihood that we were out walking so late and there to see this happen.
          Quote of the day:
"The crisis is averted. You no longer have to fear for your cups." - Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment