Friday, September 12, 2014

Fatally Yours

          Of all the days for me to be on time this week, today was the least likely. Running on maybe four hours of sleep, three of which were stolen on a tile floor in the lobby of our craptacular building, I got up, got dressed and got to work. I decided to take a chance on the Green Line and it paid off, hitching from the MFA to Park. Park is an extra minute or two away from my workplace on Federal Street, but the MFA is a hell of a lot closer to our apartment than Ruggles. At work, Kathy and I put Harold's office through the wringer, wiping down practically every surface and cleaning out drawers full of crumbs, expired medicine and stained papers. (Regarding the medicine: some of it expired before I was born.) It smelled much more lemony and much less like an old guy when we were done; I was particularly proud of how much better his shelves looked. During this process, I found an ancient atlas that I plan to cut up for decoration, as well as a little magazine blurb about Harold's chess exploits. He once beat Bobby Fischer and was carried from the room on the spectators' shoulders! Aside: Abner's comment about how there's never a line when I show up at the bank already has me jinxed.
          I went to Julia, Jennifer, Cara, and Ethan's housewarming party tonight. Regina, Emily D, and others were also present, as well as Alaric and Nathan. Highlights: Picking up $200+ worth of alcohol; testing out Aviation gin, which has an interestingly savory taste; failing to make jello shots and a giant jello gummy bear; and a mighty internal struggle. After much smoking and not enough drinking (as is typically the case with me), I crashed on the couch and was quickly asleep. My mother is a real RN, but they could call me a registered nurse with the way I hang on to drinks.
          Quotes of the day:
"This is PTSD status." - me, cleaning Harold's office
"And you got a FedEx letter to boot!" - the UPS guy, after someone delayed him in the elevator
"If you ain't getting drunk, get the fuck out the club. Socrates." - Stephanie
"You know what's the funniest thing about scalping?" - me
"If you saw me in makeup for the first time, you'd just come all over the place." - Julia
"I wish I was an astronaut but I don't have perfect vision." - Stephanie
"I want my skin to feel like this on the inside." - Julia
"Better safe than guac-less." - Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment