Monday, September 1, 2014

Human Again

          Moving day was a nightmare. My father, Scott (Alaric's dad), and his boyfriend Blase turned up to help us move everything out; we had three vehicles, including Nathan's car. The seven of us battled intense heat, horrible traffic, and a nasty parking situation just making our way to 56 Queensberry. Since we had to be out of the building as quickly as possible, we moved all of our things outside 1023 Tremont and at least one person had to guard them at all times. At the new place, someone had to stick with the cars at all times to be sure that we wouldn't get ticketed or towed. Whoever was left was tasked with hauling our stuff up four narrow flights of stairs. I can't fully communicate how hard this was. The day seemed to go on forever, partly because I hadn't slept a wink and partly because I still hadn't fully digested the breakup with Iris.
          We stopped for pizza and beer before finishing up, and things should have been good. I was too worn out to see that and was barely keeping it together by the end of the day. I was unhappy with the new apartment (it's kind of a dump -- the bathroom doorknob falls off if you pull it), upset to see my father go, in shock from the breakup. I slept for a while in the common room and woke to gifts of cigars and Maker's Mark from Scott and Blase. Nathan and I hit up El Pelon, and I went to bed in a vastly improved state of mind.
          Quote of the day:
"You guys smell like goat." - Blase

No comments:

Post a Comment