I slept in a bit, then got up to work at the last minute before our reluctant return to school. I met Alanna in the ballroom to snatch some international food and then moved shop to the office, where Jules appeared as well. We took a radio show clearance class in the WRBB studio, so we're on the cusp of running our own; all that remains is to shadow an e-board member's show and sign up. All the different inputs and controls make my head spin, but I'm sure a little practice will clear that up. Soon, it was time to pregame and apply face paint for the first round of the Beanpot. I covered half my face in red, the other half in black, and drew a slantwise line across my face in reversed colors.
When we arrived at TD Garden, I was feverishly doling out the paint, but it turned out that we had a while to wait. The Harvard/Boston University game went into triple overtime before BU won cleanly, 4-3. Our semifinal opponent, of course, was Boston College. These guys have kicked us around every year and this year could make six Beanpots in a row for them, a chance to match BU's record streak. The first period ended tensely at 0-0; the Huskies scored on the power play at the beginning of the second, but BC soon tied the score on what I still deem to be a bullshit kick-in. We got ahead again, BC tied it again, and it looked like it was heading to overtime until Darou scored with only 90 seconds to go. With the Huskies now leading 3-2, the action was frenetic, but Witt held on tight for the win! The streak is broken! We're back in the finals, now matched against Boston University, the #1 team in Hockey East this year.
I loved the way the Huskies played tonight. There was unusual discipline to their game, and Boston College committed a series of penalties trying to rile things up and take advantage of our weak penalty kill. There were some bad offsides calls and at least two late icing calls; the final Husky goal was preceded by what looked to be a high, dirty hit on one of our players. The refs somehow missed that one, but the win more than made up for it. Someone had to take these guys down a peg. The cheers/fights were interesting, too: "Safety school!" "Sunday school!" "Jesus loves us!" "We've got jobs!" "We've got futures!" "Thank you Daddy!" And, of course, a personal favorite: "God can't save you!" Nor could he. At home, I drank, smoked and partied with Peter, Sabrina, Malcolm, Alaric, and Nathan. Given my schedule, this was the worst possible night to do so, but how often do you win like this? Jules remained and we stayed awake into the morning, discussing veganism and mankind's stewardship of nature. (I really hope "mankind" is still a politically correct alternative to "humankind" because it is a far more electric word.)
Quotes of the day:
"Demko is ugly crying right now." - Jules
"NU drift." - Justin
No comments:
Post a Comment