Monday, February 23, 2015

This Can't Be Life

          Alanna and I have been cleared to DJ a radio show from 12 to 1 am on WRBB, Monday nights! We're running 'Round Midnight, a two-part show with a general jazz/soul theme, and anyone interested can listen on 104.9 FM or at wrbbradio.org. We're both unable to do the show tonight, but next week ought to be a lot of fun. Due to snow, this was essentially my first real Monday since the beginning of classes and therefore my first day with all four classes, but I scrambled through it. Of course, everyone's mind was elsewhere: Sabrina, Ryan D, Nathan and Jules came to apply face paint before we met the rest of the band for the Beanpot. I applied a checkerboard pattern that came out looking pretty sweet; Jules did a white handprint on a red face.
          The final round of the 2015 Beanpot was a nut punch. The Huskies trailed 3-1 before coming back to force overtime; a hooking penalty nine seconds into OT led to a swift goal for Boston University and another loss for us. It hurt to come so close and drop the tournament like that. Our band and fan section were bigger, better and louder than BU's, but I have never been the least bit consoled by the tired refrain of "band always wins". At any rate, Witt was lights out; I place the blame for the deciding goal on the NU defenseman who fully screened him. We headed home in a sullen, smoldering quiet.
          Afterward, it was time for numerous shots, beers and hits with Emily, Maddie, Malcolm, Jake S, Mary, Trevor, Alaric, Jules, and Ariel. This turned into a shockingly fun evening; it was cool hanging out with Mary and Trevor without the rest of the freshman horde. After much fun conversation and ridiculous drunkenness, I fell asleep on the bathroom floor and became a problem when people tried to move me. Emily finally got me to move by daring me to, at which point I sprung up, walked into the front hallway and slept on the floor there. Something something horizontal equilibrium something.
          Quotes of the day:
"Time to get up!" - Prof. Maness, after his phone alarm went off
"You can't spell 'flipping burgers' without 'BU.'" - me

No comments:

Post a Comment