At 10 a.m., I crawled out of bed and mustered all of my will to get dressed. All swaddled up, I walked out into the 8-degree weather and traveled all the way to the new East Village dorm to meet with other volunteers and shovel. Someone showed up after a few minutes' wait and informed us that the shoveling was canceled for the next few days due to the razor cold outside. I was fine with it -- I can count those hours anyway -- but I truly wanted to get the Fens shoveled because it's a pain trudging through that deep snow every day, and isn't inclement weather the whole point? With all this extra time, I picked up some super-cheapo booze for Ryan D (Caldwell's rum, delivered in a plastic bottle with the labels falling off, at only $17 a handle) and a box of Konas for myself. I chilled in the office with the hope that he could meet me there, but I didn't hear back and went home.
Carrying the box of beers across the Fens was a trial, and I rewarded myself by drinking beers. I then pregamed for hockey with Monica (who wasn't going), Iris (who's not in band), Jules (who got way too drunk), and Mary and Elizabeth (who did not drink.) I was toasty as well, but at least I didn't have to stand right next to JL during the game. What came next was the most dominant game of hockey any of us are likely to see at Northeastern. We went up 5-0 on UConn within one period, then widened the gap to 7-0 in the second. I kept expecting the other Huskies to tighten up, but they would never even get on the board. Our boys posted another two goals in the third for a 9-0 shutout -- call it marking territory. I went home with Jules, Alaric, Maddie and Malcolm, and soon slipped into a peaceful, intoxicated slumber.
Quote of the day:
"Use the problem solving skills that Northeastern University gave you and fuckin' figure it out." - Jules, to Iris
No comments:
Post a Comment