Monday, February 2, 2015

The Wire Was Filmed In Baltimore

          The heavy snowfall continued and class was canceled again, just as predicted. Jules and I went to Rod Dee 2 for a hearty lunch. (I mean that literally, a piece of chicken in my pad thai was unsettlingly heart-shaped.) Alaric joined us to enjoy a Coca-Cola product, after which Jules and I started The Wire. The unrealistic plan is to finish the entire show before the Baltimore trip. We watched the first two episodes, which definitely feel rougher than other HBO shows I'm familiar with, but are fascinating in their own way. There are lots of characters -- including another couple of unlikeable protagonists -- and interesting use of black & white photography to highlight each one. So far, detective work is portrayed as a largely thankless diversion from a corrosive office environment and the insular culture of the "thin blue line," still so topical today. This is heavy stuff, and I was ready to catch up on The Flash and Arrow once we'd watched our fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment