I met Michelle for lunch at Panera to check in and discuss various developments in our lives. We went back to the apartment to smoke, make art, and continue to talk for a while. After she took off, I went to Shandana's dorm to bring over her stuff, and there met two of her friends: relentlessly friendly Libby, a Massachusetts resident who definitely belongs in California, and Kara S, her extremely blunt roommate from New Jersey. After some conversation I was unexpectedly invited to dinner with them, and off we went to Cheesecake Factory. We met a few of their friends there, including Morgan again! This is turning into some 6 degrees of separation shit. Everyone was lively and personable at the table, and I enjoyed a huge chicken avocado club sandwich and an unconscionably good strawberry milkshake spiked with vodka and amaretto. The meal counts as healthy because I gave away most of my fries, right?
I bailed early to get to broomball on time, rushed home, changed and left again. I needn't have rushed; the other team failed to show and we won the game by forfeit. We were still amped to play and decided to run a 5v4 scrimmage. I was on the 4-player side and we were soundly beaten; Jake C faced many shots and was able to stop most of them, but the extra player was just too much of an advantage. Nate is by far our best player (possibly excluding Jake C) and makes his presence known all over the ice; when we switched him to our team near the end, the momentum obviously shifted in our favor, though it wasn't enough to scrape up a goal. Iris nearly scored once, shooting from in deep and hitting the left post before the opposing goalie (Malcolm?) could cover that side. I had two chances as well: one on a no-look pass into the crease, and another on a lofted pass that hit Nate's chest and then the crossbar before the goalie stopped it. I have a talent for quick acceleration on the ice and I'm not afraid to rumble with other players along the boards, but I need to up my stickhandling game.
The Rangers beat the Sabres, 3-1, as expected, and the Wild 4-0'd the Oilers. At home with Malcolm, Alaric, Molly, Nathan, and Sean, we decided that we were in the mood for a scary movie or two. Malcolm was not much for this idea at first, but we talked him into it and started up Dead Silence, a supernatural horror flick about a ventriloquist's dummy. Packed with tired horror tropes, the movie was a run-of-the-mill slasher but just fun enough to justify itself. Next up was The Blair Witch Project, still the most frightening movie I've ever seen. More to come!
Quotes of the day:
"Everybody looks like they should be on True Blood there." - Kara S
"Broomball is a big boy sport." - Jules
No comments:
Post a Comment