Thursday, June 25, 2015

Land of the Free

          For once, I woke up just before my alarm -- naturally, while suffering from a debilitating lack of sleep -- and zombie-walked to the Macro final review. I comprehended little of what went on in there, though some of the other students' presentations were tolerable. SCOTUS saved Obamacare again, 6-3 get fukt Scalia. I took some time to read through the emails about volunteering later and was bemused by the designation of some volunteers as "human arrows" to guide people to different activities. Aren't those normally called ushers? I filled in the middle of the day with The Wire (now in season 4) and was gripped by a strong desire for one of the in-show campaign placards ("Re-elect Royce"!)
          I went to the Reggie Lewis Center to volunteer for the BUILD Games, a kind of team-building athletic event with teams of attendees from various companies, split into pseudo-Olympic teams named after real countries. I was assigned to help on one of the two volleyball courts, and watched the spirited (and patriotically dressed) USA team sweep every team in our bracket on their way to defeating Germany for the win. One member of the losing team was Dave G, one of the younger attorneys at Rich May, and we exchanged brief hellos. Volunteers were provided with an appreciable quantity of UHOP and soda for their help, as well as yet another never-going-to-wear-this-again volunteer t-shirt. I also ran into Tyson, the lawyer that I chatted with at the  Dance for World Community Festival, as well as Clay on the way out. I picked up a ton of useless swag throughout the day, including various juices and energy drinks, some better t-shirts, stickers, temporary tattoos, packaged snacks, and a large pair of red-tinted, start-shaped sunglasses. When I got home, I went dumpster diving for clothes and found a peacoat, several shirts and pairs of pants, and a soccer ball in fine condition. Later on, I ventured back out for another sweep and came up with a shelf for all of our CD/DVD/unassigned trinket needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment