The Supreme Court handed down the long-awaited decision on gay marriage today: a 5-4 split, with Justice Anthony Kennedy siding with the four "liberal" justices and the forces of good. Gay marriage is now legal in 50 states, and a liberty that was a pipe dream just a few decades ago is a reality. Chief Justice Roberts' charge that the democratic process was skipped has no merit, because Constitutionally granted rights cannot be invalidated by a majority vote. Well, here we are -- part of history, now.
I slept late, and changed my earlier plan of going to Howl with Sean before heading to Becky's, opting instead to see Jennifer and Alanna before they clear out of the city. Jennifer and I went grocery shopping, hunted for mulberries in the Fens -- I tried one for the first time, taking care not to get juice everywhere -- and then laid out a picnic at Ramler Park, a half-block of manicured green space on Peterborough Street that had escaped my attention. We ate a tremendous amount of fruit and other stuff, sipped lemonade and enjoyed one another's company. We went home, watched Daredevil -- "I can see why you like it," she groaned -- and hung out. Later, Alanna switched up and our plans fell through. Par for the course, I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment