An earlier, far better version of this entry was lost to computer stupidity. Probably some specifics also.
After sleeping in the yellow chair for four hours or so, I woke to Jules playing Advance Wars and joined in the fun. The lot of us never tire of talking AW strategy, and I've been feeling especially proficient lately. Later on, I went to Park Street to meet Jennifer, and we took the Red Line to JFK/ZooMass. From the station, it was only a ten or fifteen minute walk to the beach. The Atlantic is cold, but this was a fortuitously warm day, and we were soon swimming and having fun. I collected a pile of sea glass, walked through broken shells that cut the hell out of my feet, sat with Jennifer under the pier, and walked through gross mud that did not feel inclined to let go. After a couple of hours in and out of the water, we got chilly and decided to find something to eat. We moved to a bench along the outer rim of the beach, smoked and watched the closest of a score of rec league volleyball teams fighting it out on the sand. Leaving the beach, we wandered through a park where people were playing with their kids and an old, quiet suburb that looked quite unlike Boston, and all I kept thinking was how peaceful it would be to raise a family there. Our destination, a Polish restaurant called Cafe Polonia, featured a tiny dining room with a rustic, wood-paneled interior. It looked somewhat spare but inviting as well; we were attended to by a large, friendly Pole with an impenetrable accent and a passing resemblance to Manny Horvitz (sans the butcher routine.)
We were seated at a sturdy wooden table directly in the center of the room, where I felt that everyone in the room could hear our conversation, and served with bread and schmaltz. Eating schmaltz makes me feel disgusting at points, but it was a welcome departure from tired old bread and butter; for the main dish, I ordered pierogi (having somehow never tried them) and was ultimately pleased with the decision. After dinner we returned to Allston, tired but happy.
Quotes of the day:
"Why would I pay $2 for something I could make in my house? They makin' millions off coffee!" - Dude on the train
"Badasses wear shoes." - Jennifer

No comments:
Post a Comment