HUSKIES 1 CANCER 0
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Third Period Choke
Taking advantage of the weekend, I slept in until it was time for Relay for Life. Upon arriving in my personalized shirt, I found Matthews packed with students. A DJ was blasting dance music and voices filled the air. I could feel the vibrations in the concrete; even as someone who can handle a lot of noise, it was too much for me. As the night went on, though, people started to trickle out. The DJ was temporarily replaced by a few different groups of performers, including an a cappella group and the cast of Behind the Curtain, a new musical revue. When he returned the music was far more subdued and I was much more at peace. There were various free snacks, including a ton of Chobani and some Panera Bread baked goods; I ate two large loafs of sun dried tomato bread. Jaimie, Ryan, Alaric and some others did some Zumba along with people down on the floor, and I captured some of these moments on camera. The candle ceremony was very moving, and the atmosphere was somber for a time. I walked for about an hour and a half, then settled to read Game of Thrones when an a cappella group took the floor and it was awkward to walk around them. Alaric and I shone as the Tremont Street Raiders superhero team during that themed lap. The strangest thing about the night was the scoreboard, which displayed the time and "score":
HUSKIES 1 CANCER 0
What even the Christ. What a bizarre, distasteful way to celebrate the fight against cancer. The night continued until five a.m., when we peaced out to get some sleep. Or not, in my case.
HUSKIES 1 CANCER 0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment