Iris' birthday began very quietly. I walked to Shaw's to obtain an ice cream cake; the walk there was a lot of fun because people were walking down the middle of the street, with a car coming along every five minutes or so. I even ran into Sabs and Lauren near Utrecht. Shaw's itself was a bit of a shit show, with only 3 registers open and a line stretching back into the aisles for each one. I occupied myself in the queue by listening to music and dancing a bit (#idgaf) and was beginning to fear that the cake might melt when I reached the front. The line took maybe 40 minutes, but what can you do?
As it happens, the cake had melted, albeit only slightly. The walk back was hell - every time I think of something I might need and then decide not to bring it along, that's when I need it most. In this case: my gloves. I saw that 5 Napkin Burger was open when I passed by, so Iris and I decided to go there for a birthday dinner. We were seated right next to the door after maybe 10 minutes' wait; the burgers were great, our server was exceedingly pleasant despite the high volume of customers, and the decor was low-key yet aesthetically pleasing. Think "light industrial chic." As a bonus, there was a babby in a fuzzy wuzzy bear suit at a nearby table, which Iris was perfectly positioned to stare at.
When we returned, the ambush was launched. I've never seen a surprise party go over as a surprise, but it seems that this one did. We had around 20 people in attendance, shared some cake and hung out. The Delivery Man went on an amusing monologue about a mafioso and his baker friend. Overall, a successful day (I hope.)
Quotes of the day:
"People were being dumbasses..." - Iris, swearing
"I have a perfect view of the babby. It was meant to be." - Iris
"It's the kind of chocolate you eat alone and feel good about it." - Dave, on Ferrero Rocher
"Whatever keeps you ventilated." - Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment