Saturday, February 16, 2013
Salsa Starch
Today was a prime example of a lazy Saturday, though I'm treating it as Friday due to the 3-day weekend. Iris and I finished the first season of Game of Thrones, argued about vice legalization for a while, and then started season two. Eventually, she cooked a wonderful dinner for us to share, including salmon, pasta with white sauce, and broccoli. Alanna and Nate showed up for A Scanner Darkly; after 45 minutes, Alaric and Haley finally showed up and we were able to proceed. Though admittedly smoother in style than its predecessor Waking Life, I prefer the latter's episodic style, subject matter, artistic license, and lack of Keanu Reeves (though A Scanner Darkly benefits from Robert Downey Jr.'s presence.) Scanner is also hobbled (in my opinion) by its grandiose but incomplete message on ethics and wrongdoing in pursuit of justice, delivered in the form of a one-sided conversation between a main character and an until-this-point-unknown character. Guess who gets to dole out the exposition here. If you guessed the unknown, you were right. All in all, I suppose it's unfair to excessively compare A Scanner Darkly to Waking Life, but all things considered, I still feel very lukewarm about it. After the movie, Iris and I ripped through more GoT episodes, reaching episode 5 in the second season. At this rate, we'll kill it tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment