Monday, October 7, 2013

Let's Enhance

          I dreamed that I helped Harrison, Jared and Claire put up a dock at one's grandfather's lake, wrestling those big floating pieces into the water and getting dirty. We picked old tallboy beer cans out of the muddy water, burned up old tree stumps, and bragged about NYSSMA scores between ourselves, all in that perpetual sunset light that is so common in autumn. I woke up and busied my mind elsewhere, trying to reconcile my attempt at a newly zen outlook with my loathing for many aspects of today's America. Work was one of those days. We're dealing with an attorney whose assistant calls for him and then informs us that "Attorney [redacted] would like to speak with you." What is this guy, a senator? In the afternoon, I went to the BMC, where I was bluntly informed that we needed to file a continuance instead of a motion to continue, for indeterminate reasons. I then went to the wrong courthouse (the trial court instead of the Supreme Judicial Court) and thoroughly embarrassed myself in front of a clerk, who was admirably restrained despite the fact that he was dealing with an obvious moron. When I reached the proper courthouse, I went to a desk and was promptly rebuffed and told to travel down the hall; when I got to that desk, our question was dealt with in about two seconds. Wasted time: roughly thirty minutes. Aside: The trial court is decorated in a wildly outdated Art Deco style, which is sort of appealing in the way that only fading Art Deco can be. On the other hand, the John Adams Courthouse, where the SJC makes its bed, is a huge, arching edifice of ornate marble and granite. In my estimation, these are beautiful old fashions that never really got old. Still different is the BMC's aforementioned Edward W. Brooke courthouse, which is marbled as well, but much more stark, modern, and unadorned.
          I don't know how I didn't notice before, but fall is in the air. The air is cool and crisp with the scent of autumn in Boston, and fallen leaves are already everywhere. I guess I've been more or less sleepwalking through the last few months. I'm 76% certain that I saw a pimp on the T, a tall gentleman in a white trench coat, white fedora, and white leather shoes, all spotless and shiny. After a Power Nap (caps required) at home, Sean and I went to get haircuts and both came out looking spiffy. We finally got around to renaming our wifi network to "Let's Enhance" (password: "upload_the_virus.txt" + 1 typo which I will not divulge here) and I got through lots of cleaning, laundry, organizing, etc. There was a fun moment where I realized something important while cleaning the bathroom, stood up quickly and bashed my head on a cabinet, so what everyone in the living room heard was, "Oh fuck!" *BANG*. We closed out the evening with a viewing of the Val Kilmer-iffic Batman Forever, which is completely saved by Jim Carrey's performance as the Riddler.
          Quotes of the day:
"I wanna be a dinosaur when I grow up." - Iris
"What is this, top secret or something? You can transfer me to her but you cant give me her number?" - Lisa
"It's like I'm getting a call from the President or something." - Jeremy
"Ahh, I remember you because of that damn wallet!" - a guard at the trial court
"I have knife hands! Knife hands, knife hands! Raaaaaahhhhh!" - Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment