Sunday, October 6, 2013

Some Nights

          I lurched out of bed at 10 a.m. to get home, get changed, and get to rehearsal, all in the rain. On the way over to Cabot, I strode through a puddle in the Columbus lot that was about three times as deep as it looked, which sucked for the rest of the day. The rehearsal itself was all right; we played some new material ("Some Nights," "Runaway Baby," and the maddening "50 Ways To Say Goodbye") while JL was cutting up to an unusual extent. In the evening, Sean, Katie, Iris and I went on a banter-filled double date to Zinneken's in Cambridge, where I ate a tried-and-true Gourmand waffle. Everyone else seemed satisfied as well, though the presentation was less fancy this time around; instead of metal plates, the waffles were served in red and white paper bowls of the type one might find at a little league concession stand. The couples parted ways, and Iris and I walked to meet Cristina at Bertucci's, which Iris consistently claims is an amazing Italian chain. As it happens, it was pretty delicious. I enjoyed a large, tasty dish of lobster ravioli and some quality conversation with the girls, and the evening was quite fun overall.
          Quotes of the day:
"They're hot licks arranged rhythmically, and then people go, 'Uh!' That's a good sound." - JL, on "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker (Give Up the Funk)"
"Actually, I think the words in measures 6 and 7 are 'yeah'." - JL
"If it ain't got that swing, it don't mean a thing." - JL
"That's definitely a 'I'm wielding a weapon of death' moment." - JL

No comments:

Post a Comment