JL was timely in canceling rehearsal today; I couldn't bear to get any work done. Instead, I relaxed to music and watched the Bruins stomp the Maple Leafs. One of my favorite things is listening to the NESN announcers gloss over peewee-status plays and careless turnovers by the Bruins, and this game was full of those, the win notwithstanding. One Leaf completely whiffed on the puck during a prime scoring opportunity; another flew solo into the zone and lobbed the puck at Rask with the intensity of a warmup toss in little league baseball. The Leafs abruptly hit the gas pedal in the last three minutes, but were unable to close the gap and collapsed. All told, the game was a joke, but a fun blowout all the same. Other hockey stuff: The Wild skewered the Lightning with six different scorers, 7-2 (holy depth, Batman!); the Islanders beat the Stars in another scary bout, 7-5; the Rangers lost to the Habs, 1-3; and the Sabres somehow managed to squeeze two points out of the Sharks with a lights-out game from Michael Neuvirth.
I wasn't feeling too positive about moving around, and declined invitations to a game night at the Phons and an improv show with Iris, Johnny and Evan. In time, Emily came over and we watched Blair Witch Project, From Dusk Till Dawn, Machete, and Chicken Run in quick succession. During this time, we tanked a huge bottle of Cabernet, debated the merits (or lack thereof) of George Clooney's hair, and laughed often. The second film is a charming '90s horror comedy featuring Quentin Tarantino, George Clooney, Harvey Keitel, and hordes of vampires. Cheech Marin plays three characters and the revolver-cock makes its first appearance -- Robert Rodriguez evidently went back through his old props for Machete Kills. There are two gratuitous Tarantino foot fetish scenes, though he didn't even direct the movie. (He did write the screenplay, though.) Did I mention the vampires?
Quotes of the day:
"...and Van Riemsdyk is gonna spend the next two minutes of his life in the penalty box." - NESN announcer
"Rask was there several minutes before he shot that." - Alaric, re: a terrible effort
"Well, now I have to..." - Emily and I, every time someone on screen drank or smoked
...
Me: "See, this is what I like to see the Bruins do."
Alaric: "Trample."
Me: "Sweep clowns."
No comments:
Post a Comment