Sunday, May 31, 2015

Remember Me

          The morning after, I woke up on the floor at the Phons and walked home. It looked ripe for a storm all the way home. I settled in at the apartment and sweated off the hangover, waiting for thunder that never came. It did get gusty (some shit blew down in my room), and the rain came too, but none of the fancy stuff. Jennifer and I braved the weather to meet at Symphony Sushi, after which we played Revolution at the apartment, then headed to the Fenway Regal to see Mad Max: Fury Road.
          This movie is a masterpiece -- possibly the best action flick I've ever seen, and perfect for the theater. Considered in the most basic light, Mad Max is a 2-hour extended chase scene with improbably strong narrative chops. The practical effects and prop design look incredible. The many action sequences are exhilarating and never feel tired, and even minor characters get some deft characterization via dialogue. Tom Hardy is skilled at not smiling as Max Rockatansky; Charlize Theron's utterly badass Imperator Furiosa is a wonder to behold. There isn't a hint of a love story for either of them; Furiosa is never sexualized -- really, the only scenes where anyone is are either to point out how depraved the villains are, or a single scene played for laughs early on. Nicholas Hoult is fabulous as Nux, the sick and brainwashed War Boy; the bit involving him, Max and a road flare was my favorite among many brilliant moments. Even the faceless mook-type bad guys come in a variety of flavors, all with half-familiar manners of dress and culture. (If I were in this movie, I think I'd be one of those dirt bike-riding, bomb-throwing mountain men...) No complaints. I'm probably going to see it again.
          ALSO. Going by the preview, Ant-Man looks like it's gonna be awesome. Corey Stoll is my boy.

Playoff section:
Stanley Cup Final:
CHI v. TBL: 0 - 0         Well, here we are. Let's go Bolts?

No comments:

Post a Comment