Maddie told me she woke up drunk; I know I did. My Uber last night somehow cost a monstrous $24 -- I can't let that happen again. Jennifer and I shared a relaxing morning at her apartment; we eventually dressed and headed out to Herb Chambers, just a few blocks down the street. While we waited, I decided to get a coffee to fend off the coming hangover. In another example of technology somehow making life harder, the computer inside the Keurig took minutes at a time to recognize input, as a receptionist informed us when we went to her in confusion. Someone had spilled coffee inside the spill tray -- like a full coffee -- so I cleaned that up, along with some empty cups. Jennifer got her coffee without incident; I did it and forgot to put a cup under the nozzle. I cleaned that up, tried to make another cup and the machine told me it had a water supply problem. I tried a few more times, finally did it right, and then dropped a whole Splenda packet in, paper and all. I guess I needed the coffee more than I thought.
The blue light on the dealership floor gave our skin a green, pasty tint. While we waited, we commented on a promotion by Toyota, "#Selflessie", that was capped at an ultra-cheapo $200,000 maximum donation to charity. (Pro tip: If you're trying to change your corporate image, actually do something of more than token significance.) We briefly met with a younger guy and discussed the car Jennifer had her eye on, a silver Prius, used but in great condition. I rode along on the test drive, and we made small talk with the salesman and drove around the block. At the end, we pulled into the narrowest possible street for the situation of a garage and parked under the dealership. Jennifer decided to go through with the purchase and we met with another guy, a pleasant older man who walked her through the finances.
Once the papers were signed, Jennifer and I went to the Super 88 food court for lunch. This is a magical place. I went for some hella greasy pad thai with crispy chicken, and together we sat and enjoyed our food. It's noisy and a little dirty in the food court, but it feels organic and the variety is something else. We came back to Mission Hill and holed up in my room for a while, laying and talking. We'd intended to go to Primark, but settled against it. Jess, Alaric, Nathan and Jules joined us to drink and watch Kung Fury, a Kickstarter-funded action movie on Netflix that's somehow only a half hour long. It's packed with stylized, video-game style action and homages to kung-fu movies, cop dramas, and the 1980s. We then played several rounds of Soccer Physics; Jennifer and I had the edge over the other couple, while Alaric and I dominated in the girls v. boys department. Emily came over too, and I retreated when they started to watch Avatar.
No comments:
Post a Comment