Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Start of the Season

          Like a vampire, I rose at 2 a.m. with a thirst for Soccer Physics. Once I'd sated that desire, I went out on the deck to scrape together enough of Boston's first snowfall to pack the Bing. It was beautiful but severe: hard, scraping and frigid, painful to the touch. I spent my surplus creativity on the beer wall, bringing it up to date with all the leftover pieces. After some more minor tasks, I went to check on Jennifer's car and found that the snow had shifted into a relentless, pelting rain. The first 66 bus on the schedule disappeared inexplicably, and the next was late; I hadn't even left the neighborhood and my coat was soaked through. Because I am a) an idiot and b) notoriously bad at estimating distance, I got off the bus at the Brookline Linden Street, not the correct one in Allston, even though I've been there. (For sharing a relatively uncommon street name, they sure are close together.) Miserable, I walked all up and down the street, worried about the car, got my feet hopelessly wet and bothered Jennifer before my mistake became apparent. I walked to the Walgreens to wait for the next 66 along with another passenger, and the next 66 blew past us. I chose to see this as an opportunity, picking up rubbing alcohol and cookies inside; when I came back out, the other guy showed me a useful transit app. Soon a bus came for us, and in short order, I found the car just as Jennifer left it.
          Down the street, I picked up some Jimador and vodka for myself and Maddie's long-due root beer. I successfully took a single bus back to Sewall Street and walked home, grudging every sodden step. There, I stripped down, set some alarms and fell asleep. Unsurprisingly, I missed a Boston Cares orientation I'd planned to attend downtown; luckily there's another soon. Kofi came over late, with midnight around the corner. We used the rubbing alcohol to clean five pieces, including the one I found on moving night, Obamacare; we deployed ice and Eli's trumpet mouthpiece to make it work again. For these two Americans, affordable care became a reality! We played Soccer Physics, watched two episodes of Daredevil, and talked about the Blue Jackets until sleep came.

No comments:

Post a Comment