Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The First Stone

          I woke up, took a lukewarm shower and actually woke up. On the T, I ended up sitting near a bag lady. I christened her "Mabel" in my head. She reeked horribly, like something was rotting, and her voice was so scratchy, like a wool blanket left out in the cold. She was alternately laughing and crying, reading aloud from a Bible, ranting about Nat Turner, but mainly shrieking. Mabel reserved most of the screams for the conductor, addressing him as God through the intercom, though she also yelled at someone across from me. It was bracing, and also a reminder of the suffering deinstitutionalization has wrought in the United States. I spent the rest of the day at work getting frustrated over the hang time that internet advertisements create every time I try to load a webpage. (I can't adblock because some of my work involves looking for them.) Local newspaper websites are the worst, loaded up with banners and popups because print is dead. At home, I smoked and watched the first game between the Rangers and Islanders this season. It was tied 1-1 at the end of OT; in the shootout, old man Boyle deked Jaroslav Halak out of his pants and the puck bobbled away at the last second. We lost that second point, but the team is looking much better, much more competitive now. They always seem to get up for these rivalry games.
          Quotes of the day:
"Move this train, God! Move this train before I wish this driver the worst death... in the world." - Mabel
"God, you should have taken me out in Texas that day!" - Mabel
"You want to win this war? You'll need to kill yourself!" - Mabel
"We should be a first-class city like San Francisco, but we won't, until you fuckin' bitches get cleaned out of this city, tonight." - Mabel
"Toronto looking like Toronto..."- TV announcer, re: TOR's 1-6 blowout loss in Winnipeg

No comments:

Post a Comment