In Comp Pols today, a girl named Frederika (the jury is still out on how I feel about that name) contributed greatly to our discussion on Iran. Her grandfather worked as one of five finance ministers for the Shah, and after the 1979 Revolution his entire family was targeted. One twelve year old uncle was fired on by a helicopter while he played in the courtyard; another uncle, who worked in the oil business, was held for ransom and tortured for three years. I then had an embarrassing moment, confusing Ayatollahs Khomeini (lead the revolution, died in 1989) and Khamenei (current Supreme Leader of Iran.) In American Government I learned that the underground portion of Snell is a nuclear fallout shelter, which explains why there is zero cell phone reception down there. It came up after Professor Urman mentioned almost being forced to hold our class in Snell. "Nothing is capable of living or interacting down there," he said, and it really is true. Those spaces are hideously unsuitable for learning... or any other activity, really.
In the evening, I passed the dumb baton to the coordinators of my CEP reflection meeting. On the attendance sheet, I wrote two consecutive entries in my own handwriting: "Bruce Springsteen" and my own name. Somehow this fooled the facilitators, who called on "Bruce" to answer a question and only realized the error when they called for Andy and I answered again. After the meeting Iris and I went out for dinner near the Prudential. The place is called Tomodachi Sushi; I found the food delicious if somewhat costly, while Iris thought it good but not quite cold enough. Sabrina, Alaric and I finished watching Music Man in my room, discovering a hypnotic technique involving a finger and the phrase "fifteen minutes."
Quote of the day:
"I don't know how to describe it. You just need to eat it and you'll know." - Iris
"What's constitutional or not depends mostly on five people. On one person, in particular. His name is Tony." - Professor Urman
No comments:
Post a Comment