The band tour departed Ruggles at about 6:45 a.m. We stopped in West Hartford, CT to play our first gig of two: a children's museum. Allow me to stress the fact that we played in a
dinosaur room. Yes, there were dinosaurs. Creepy animatronic ones, in fact. After the band played twice, we wandered around and checked out the scientific things. In particular, the bubble machine and turtle tanks were pretty rad. The last part of the gig was a planetarium show, which involved a horrifying floating head exploding out of a book to tell children what to do. We even walked through a whale.
After the gig, Alanna, Shannon G, Zach, Steve and I walked over to a Whole Foods for lunch. I had a Nantucket Nectars OPG, some shrimp ball things which tasted like crab cakes, a hunk of meat loaf and a delicious piece of white cake with strawberries. We walked to Munson's Chocolate, supposedly the best, but the $22/lb price tag deterred me from partaking. We then left for New York City, dropping anchor at our hotel on 94th Street. This place is designated as "Days Hotel" on the outside, but everything inside (toiletries, door tags, etc.) are branded Days Inn, which is slightly shady. The hallways and elevators are incredibly claustrophobic and the stairways reek of smoke. The ice machine is immediately outside of our room, leading to an occasional mysterious banging noise.
On the plus side, my roommates are pretty bro-ish: Jake, a grad student from McGill (hence the same age as a senior), Steve, and
John Eminem (there really is a similarity.) Eminem is a fellow 845, hailing from New Paltz! I took it easy this night, simply relaxing with Shannon and Steve. We ended up watching
Sucker Punch, which was surprisingly well executed despite the "let's try to get every last word on everything" ending. I then went and hung out in the lobby, the only place where the wi-fi worked, in order to internet. For about forty minutes a random couple interrupted my solitude by making out in various places in the lobby, including halfway into the open elevator.
Quote of the day:
"I like the part where you go down and I don't." - Alanna
No comments:
Post a Comment