I accompanied my family to Ryan's first Communion today, which was an experience. The priest's sermon was a long story with an ending telegraphed years in advance, during which the phrase, "Hello God. This is Bobby," was repeated probably thirty times. It was pretty awkward not going up for the Host, though the cake served after the Mass was delicious. I also laughed inwardly when Ryan's CCD teacher talked about how the kids really understood the magnitude of what they had done. This isn't even my abiding distaste for the Church speaking -- the idea that an 8 year old has any kind of grasp on their spiritual self is absurd. The afterparty went down at my grandmother's, in Kingston. I spent most of it in a pleasant chat with Judy and Steve, my aunt and uncle. I also learned that 1) Ian got fired from his job at a car dealership because he left keys in a customer's car, as well as hooking up jumper cables backward and frying the electronics in a vehicle; and 2) my father is taking 4 Advil every 5 hours for his rib pain, not to mention a hydrocodone every night.
Work was nondescript, though there was a new guy named Jesse who I mentored now and again. I accepted the offer of a couple of dish shifts a week with a heavy heart, though I am sure the money will come in handy. Brian got home this afternoon, so when I got out, off to the garage we went. Josh came as well, and I had a great time reminiscing and watching the two fight. (Not to mention being more blazed than a virgin in a volcano.) Brian's older brother Sean eventually dropped by to say hello, and though he was being friendly, it was considerably awkward. He talks a lot, so as to disallow anyone getting a word in edgewise, and he rambled about his undying love for his new tractor to a sales pitch with the intention of getting me to buy maple syrup from him. Josh disappeared during this interval; Brian and I were only successful in getting the garage to ourselves after firing up Batman Begins, which he has somehow never seen in full.
Quotes of the day:
"I hope your salvation skills are better than your comedy." - me
"Christ, I hate this! ...Sorry, Lord." - Father, swearing in church
"With great power comes great responsibility." - Ray, handing me a $2 bill among my tips
"Dude, it tortures me [with] her having my number, because you never know when it's gonna happen!" - Brian
"I don't give a fuck! I didn't knit anything! Really! I don't care! I don't!" - Josh
"Why does God hate her?" - Josh
"Your position, though valid, is fucking wrong." - me
"It's a mouse house! They're probably chewing my insides!" - Josh, examining the couch
No comments:
Post a Comment