Tuesday, May 14, 2013

World Champ

          I woke up late this morning and headed into Mrs. A's class around 10 a.m. I'd forgotten that lunch lines in elementary school felt eternal, and it was amusing watching the students trying to entertain themselves during the wait. Also, it's funny looking back at Accelerated Reader. For those of you that didn't do it, AR was a program in elementary and middle school where students read books, take comprehension quizzes on them, and score points. A hard book could be 20 points; babby ones were worth 5. At Morse, I was in third place (in the school) in third grade; second place in fourth; and first place in fifth and sixth. I was also the first to break the 100, 300, 400 and 500/year point barriers, though Matt beat me to 200, if I remember correctly. This was serious business, and competition got pretty heated at times, if in a very nerdy, bookish way. Nowadays, the kids in second grade routinely cheat off each other or are even allowed to read in the book to get their answers; the level of achievement is through the roof, with one first grader at 160 points. I think the ego that carried me through high school originated from being the champ at this.
          Quotes of the day:
"She never takes me anymore!" - Dametrius, spurned by an assistant teacher
"Kendall, next time I come to your house, want me to design you?" - Debbie
"You little slut!" - random TF2 player

No comments:

Post a Comment