Thanks in part to Lauren's normal-person sleep schedule and tiny room, I've gone to bed before midnight every night this week and I'm feeling pretty good. For some reason, though, I'm having trouble getting up in the morning; it's not "so tired I sleep through my alarm" so much as "wake up slowly over the course of 30 minutes." It's kind of pleasant, actually -- a relaxing transition from restful sleep into the working day. Work was quiet, though I did go back to court to reverse yesterday's failure. Not wishing for another undignified ejection from Snell, I chose to wait for Lauren in Curry. I occupied a table over by the volunteering and career services offices, and was absentmindedly playing vijims and surfing the internet when two people came and sat at an adjacent table on the lower level. Kindly refer to the below diagram, which I've drawn up to avoid a convoluted and confusing description of the area.
 |
| over nine million hours in microsoft paint. witness the fruits of my labor |
The bright green lines around that guy are, in case you're too dumb to comprehend my expertly executed diagram, a common symbol for something that smells very, very bad. This guy was sitting over seven feet away from and three feet below me, which Pythagorases out to about eight feet. The moment he and his obliviously chatty female friend sat down at that table, I was assaulted with a
stench -- that rank, sweaty smell with a touch of feces. You may know what I'm talking about; if not, congratulations. This was no errant whiff; for the ten or so minutes that I put up with it before leaving early for the Y, the odor tickled my nose with all the subtlety of a flying brick. I felt even worse for the two girls trying to study less than three feet away, since this gentleman's pungency was complemented by his companion's frequent, high-voiced laughter. I was going to try and shoehorn in some moral here, like "people suck sometimes" or "please bathe," but it would honestly feel trite compared to the awesome scope of this guy's smell. So I guess it's just an unpleasant story after all.
Of course, my night wouldn't be complete with a few off-kilter encounters with friends. I agreed to meet with Katie for the first time this semester at Wollaston's, and Sean was to come along as well. I reached the store with a few minutes to go and went inside for a sandwich, coming face to face with Jaimie and her parents. Of course, this was awkward because we haven't seen each other at all, and doubly so because her parents had no idea. After a brief conversation, I excused myself to meet with Sean and Katie, who should have been outside at this point. Subsequently, I sat alone for roughly 45 minutes in front of Au Bon Pain, ate all of my food (we were supposed to share a meal), was forced to move when the ABP guy started taking down the umbrellas, and was violently angry by the time they finally arrived. Faced with cheery, almost blithe attitudes, I did my best to contain the steam and met with about 40% success. After the tension had mostly dissipated, we were off to Shaw's for a nighttime expedition. Slowly but surely, life is returning to Boston (if sometimes in an aggravating way.)
Quote of the day:
"She's the meanest lady on the planet. Almost as mean as a post office lady." - Ally
No comments:
Post a Comment