Beyond Lauren's absurdly small room and feeling like a caged bird, the YMCA has a couple other charms I've failed to mention. One is that her room has no smoke detector, which I realized after staring up at its empty outlet for a while. Another is the noisy construction going on next door; namely, the erection of the snootily named GrandMarc. Of course Northeastern needed to blow $75 million on another dorm -- with a French name to boot! Since when is Boston a friend to France? That's right, never. And these contractors are not friends to any of us, since they disobey the clearly posted signs reading "NO CONSTRUCTION NOISE BEFORE 7 AM - MA LAW." Frankly, I'm surprised Northeastern hasn't looked into this, considering that students live in the area. But then, the only reason Lauren (and probably everyone else) is in the Y is because she fought with the housing department, so maybe they just don't care.
My work day was quietly irritating and can be summed up in two events. The first was getting stuck between two extremely fat people on the train; they were also the kind of people who splay their legs out, heedless of anyone else's personal space, already a scarce commodity on the T. To be clear, it's okay to be fat. What's not cool is being forced to sit with hunched shoulders and crossed legs because someone can't sit like a normal person. The second event was my next shot at a resolution to our tax issues, which I failed to solve; I did discover that there are two separate errors somewhere in our figures, which is a fun prospect. On the way home, I stopped at 1023 Tremont and someone finally answered the door; I had a conversation with a kindly middle-aged lady who informed me that we don't need a PO box, among other things.
I chilled at the library for a time, eventually moving to the second floor when it got a bit crowded. Later, Iris and I went out to dinner at another Thai place called Pho Basil, located on Mass Ave out past Berklee. I had a delicious yellow curry that came in a portion so enormous that I could hardly move at the end of the meal, with no exaggeration. I wanted to just sink into my chair and never move again. Afterward, we went to Iris's to watch The Matrix with Jennifer and Sumayah (small world!) It was well received, but it was late so we didn't finish the movie. Related aside: Apparently " s's " is preferable to " s' " when denoting possession, but neither ever looks or even sounds good... oh well.
Quote of the day:
"Oh, shocker, the federal government didn't respond to something like this? Oh." - Ally
No comments:
Post a Comment