Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pillz: Betta Grab Everything I Can

          I slept in for so long, I think I slept all the way through and was sleeping out by the time I woke up. JLA and Civ IV until 5 in the morning seemed like a good idea at the time. We did finally manage to get four players together for Left 4 Dead (Katie as Francis, Sean as Bill, David as Zoey, and myself as Louis) and wonderful hijinks and solid zombie teamwork ensued. (You can still call me Tankbuster if you like.) Connection problems interfered somewhat, but I think everyone had an enjoyable time. Later, Sean and I finished the second and final season of JLA. The final plot arc was a credibly surprising twist and mildly heartbreaking, but before the writers launched into that, they first demonstrated how few fucks it was possible to give with the Christmas Special episode. The "next episode" image for it on Netflix was a carefully selected shot of Hawkgirl getting sprayed with snow, and indeed, this turned out to be an episode where there was a good deal of innuendo. Also, the Martian Manhunter wearing a Christmas sweater. Also, this:

Martha Kent: "We used to wrap Clark's presents in lead so he couldn't see through them."
Superman: [dead serious] "You mean Santa wrapped them."

Not to mention a later scene in which J'onn catches Supes trying to peek at the presents, only to be foiled by lead (again.) This irreverence was not only hilarious and a complete riff on the srs bsns feel of the show at other times, it was also a well-placed lull in the action before the drama of the final arc. And speaking of drama, Sean and I entertained Iris with dramatic readings of long messages to Katie from an evidently drunk DP; said messages were alternately very funny and very creepy, with my personal favorite line going something like this: "Nothing can stop my love for you." That is grade A stalker movie material.
           Quote of the day:
"Oh, so this is gonna be that episode." - Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment