Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Papers Please

          I slapped my alarm into silence and came to slowly on Lauren's floor. I detected some aching in my shoulders and joints, and I have to wonder if I'm getting too old to sleep just anywhere like I used to. At least the bathrooms in the YMCA are extraordinarily clean, considering that they're communal and accounting for the decrepitude of the building. At work, I had to be the one to ask a client who she wants to leave her possessions to in her will. Her husband of twenty-five years is ten years her senior and neither seems to have any family left, so it was up to me to ask the tough questions. I also ventured into Back Bay for the first time to meet with a landlady client named Lynne. I walked through a park on the way over, marveling at an epic 200+ square hopscotch board chalked all the way through it and the gorgeous brownstones. After meeting with Lynne, I was off to the Housing Court, where I attempted to file a return of service on the pertinent eviction summons but had forgotten the original. The court clerk then politely but brusquely told me to piss off until I had the correct document, which I now have to deal with tomorrow. Also, overheard at work: There's an insurance company policy where they charge you $20 to retrieve your bill so that you can pay them, which is probably more widespread than I'd like to imagine. When I got home, I still had a couple of hours to kill before Lauren got out of work, so I wandered over to Snell to check out the renovations. My expectations were low, and I was completely floored by how different it looks in there. Everything looks brilliant and new; I could easily hang out with the fancy new chairs and tables, better lighting, and improved printing. This is coming from someone whose middle name is "Snell Sux." I don't have my Husky Card back from the cart rental yet (another complication of this week which I failed to mention), and I don't have my Husky ID memorized (why should I?) but the person at the desk was still able to let me in with just my name and a quick search. Hence, it came as a surprise when some guy walked up and asked to see my ID, and when I said I didn't have it, he told me to leave in a very rude manner. In any case, I was about to leave anyway, and the rest of my evening was spent in quiet relaxation, playing Minecraft at Lauren's.
          Quotes of the day:
"If you want to value your freedom, visit one of those places." - Jeremy on psych wards
"People are going to think you're my drug dealer." - Lynne
"This is the 8th time Marven's called today!" - Ally, exhibiting a great laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment