Monday, August 19, 2013

What's an Airport, Again?

          Today was the first day I was actually tardy, getting in about 15 minutes late; I consider this doing pretty well, considering that I woke up at ten after 8. Jeremy was fine with it, and this morning was extremely quiet anyway. There's a list of maybe thirty clients I have a neuron or two focused on at any given time; some of them are extremely low priority, and I can call the court once a month to see if there's any update (spoiler: usually there isn't); some are middling, and I just wait for things to come up; and some are higher priority and I have a bunch of tasks to complete all at once. To date, I've only met a couple of clients in person, and it's weird every time. I'll talk to someone three, four times on the phone, and actually seeing their face is like a system shock. Today, it was a pair of clients: an elderly priest that we represent by proxy, and his caretaker, who wants to sue everyone in the universe over his mistreatment by various parties. The caretaker was just as I envisioned -- an average-looking woman with a drawn, stressed face, a sensible haircut and modest style of dress. It was the priest who was a little surprising; I suppose very old people just tend slightly toward the grotesque, like withered apples. (Apple-related aside: Shout out to Laura for starting a blog!) He was wearing a driver's cap and a serious pair of hater blockers, and leaned over and started drooling if not shaken awake every so often. I feel bad for him. Hopefully I'm never so old and decrepit that I have to be watched by someone else.
          Other highlights of work: A server at Viga essentially throwing a root beer at me; hurting my fingers while cracking knuckles repeatedly; calling fax numbers by accident (again); watching a mouse run around at the State stop. A lengthy nap at home was followed by some quality time with Sean at his temporary home on Cunard Street. We took a break to run a couple of laps around the Fens, which I never do in the daylight; this run was punctuated with discussions of politics and philosophy, Katie's dance partner, and Advance Wars, which seem to be the culmination of 90% of our conversations. We theorized about which COs we're most similar to, with Sean concluding that I'm more-butch-than-you Jess because I'm apparently "pedal to the metal"; ironically, Jess was always one of my least favorite COs on both the personality and gameplay fronts (Hit: Dandelions; Miss: Unfit COs). Sean himself is Javier, the verbose doyen of defense (Hit: Honor; Miss: Retreating), and Alaric is the geriatric paratrooper/legendary badass Sensei (Hit: Lazy, rainy days; Miss: Busy malls). See below & compare. After discussing Advance Wars strategy for an entire Fens lap, we really had no choice but to play some hotseat Advance Wars 2 on my emulator. And it was good. Final aside: I kept some brown sugar & cinnamon Pop-Tarts in my black foot locker the last year I worked at camp (this puts us at five years ago, or thereabouts); somehow, their scent still remains. It's amazing how a smell can bring back so many memories, and, more mundanely, how a smell can linger without its source for half a decade.

Jess. "It's nice to win, but I wanted to STOMP you!"

Sensei. "I might retire soon... I wonder how my 401k is doing."

Javier. "You live still, for Javier is masterful but merciful!"

No comments:

Post a Comment