I don't want to finish this entry with hockey (it felt too incongruous) so I'll start with that. The Rangers dropped another "gimme" two points against the "lowly Oilers", as the Metro referred to them; formidable Pittsburgh is next in line to beat us up. This team gives me ulcers, the way it collapses against bad teams and then puts in stellar work when I'm not expecting it. In fact, all five games tonight held defeat for my favored teams. Lucky that I was distracted this evening and didn't have time to chew on the losses. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
I had two emotional dreams, one after the other. In the first, I was in a semi-basement/garage with Stephanie, Alaric, Julia, and twenty or thirty other friends, and each of us was carrying some form of party contraband -- liquor, paraphernalia, cups, snacks, and what have you. This place was on the edge of the woods, and apparently the plan was to trek farther in for a big party behind another, more secluded house. We exited through a back door and encountered two police officers nonchalantly leaning against a patrol car. I hissed at my companions to hide all the stuff, and they did so. We acted naturally and continued to follow the trail into the woods. The cops seemed suspicious, and one kept shining his flashlight down the trail ahead of us, but they did not follow. Relieved, we reached a clearing and slipped around behind the dark, empty house in the middle of it. We had previously set up a bonfire pit and a large carport-type awning here; when the full group reached the site, everyone stopped. The fire smoldered weakly. Six police officers were waiting under the awning. One addressed us through a megaphone: "We've been watching you for 15 months. You are under arrest for possession of and intent to distribute narcotics." Silence. Stephanie and I looked at each other with a mixture of rage and abject terror. My head was spinning.
The second dream was shorter. Alanna was home from her co-op in California and I gave her the biggest, warmest hug of my life. Julia was with us, and everyone was beaming. A radiant light bathed the air around the three of us. If I died then and there, I would have been happy.
As it turned out, I didn't die. I woke up early, went into the living room and chatted with Jules for a while, idly catching up on Arrow and The Sopranos. Later, Iris and Michelle came over to smoke and watch Wanted; the action was promising up to a point, but I was unable to finish the movie due to a prior engagement with Julia. We met up and rode the Green Line into Allston, settled in with whiskey and cokes, and caught up on American Horror Story. I'm still somewhat ambivalent about the show, but the last few twists have kept me on my toes. Aside: Julia mistook Tuukka Rask for Leo DiCaprio on the cover of The Improper Bostonian. We were kept company by Jennifer and Scout, an itty-bitty kitten that immediately fell in love with me and did his best to stay curled up on my chest or under my leg. He also smelled like a farm, so the girls bathed him and left him looking far less dignified than before. It was sweet to catch up with these two and spend some time actually interacting. Fool that I am, I forgot that the trains stop earlier on Sunday. I walked home from Allston at 1 a.m., chilled to the bone and mildly drunk, but the walk was peaceful and helped to clear my mind.
Quotes of the day:
"I'm the alpha male, and I'm a beta kappa papa." - Sean
"You look like Chinese royalty." - Alaric
"I can burn calories by fucking strangling you!" - Iris
"You misunderstood. I didn't mean poop, I meant snail poop!" - Iris
"H-o-t-w-i-r-e! Hotwire.com!" - Iris
No comments:
Post a Comment