Tuesday, November 11, 2014

We're On a Mission From God

          11:11 on November 11 is a special time, though I wouldn't have gathered this from how my day started out. I was already running late but had a small window of opportunity to get to work on time. I waited longer than usual for the T, later understanding this was because of Veteran's Day -- I'll come back to that -- and when it finally arrived, I realized that I didn't have my wallet. I hoofed it home, sprinted back, and waited several more minutes for the next train. The upside of mornings like this is that the day can only get better.
          I got to work to find that everyone was in a meeting, mercifully allowing me to slip into the routine as usual. When it let out, I was showered with free food. Walter's condition has miraculously improved and he is recovering at home. I even stumbled across the wiki page for man caves. All in all, good stuff. As for the holiday: I understand not taking Columbus Day off, because it's a gratuitous holiday celebrating an all-around dick and arguable mass murderer; keeping the office open on Veteran's Day when you're working with people who lived through WW2 is a little different. I suppose I can't complain about making money.
          I headed straight to Curry from work for the Youngblood Brass Band clinic. We barely sold any tickets, so the money is coming out of the band's pocket, but I think it was worth it. These guys are the real deal: insanely skilled, super-funky, and cognizant of the historical roots of their music. The band had two normal drummers, a snare player, two trombonists, a very unorthodox sousaphonist, two saxophonists, and one trumpet (the other was missing.) Every single one made me embarrassed to hold or even be near an instrument. The frontman talked about the evolution of Nawlins music and how YBBB's interpretation fits into that picture, and in between these interludes they made sweet, sweet music. A small contingent of the pep band gave a great performance as well; at the end, numerous of us joined the band on stage for another, essentially impromptu song. As a bonus, we picked up a poster for the apartment at a dirt-cheap $4.
          Emily, Alaric, Nathan and I obtained Tasty Burger and brought it home, where I finished Wanted. Not a fantastic movie, for sure, but not unworth watching. It's a tad difficult to believe how quickly the protagonist transforms from "working stiff/loser" to "hard as nails badass," and the conclusion of the destined-target plot arc was wrapped up a little too neatly. The last three seconds are easily the worst part, though. (BEGIN SPOILER) Scene: Main character looks away from rifle scope and into camera: "What have you done lately?" (END SPOILER) The best parts of the film are the things that happen offscreen: What's the deal with the tapestry of fate/kill list? Is everyone crazy, or what? Exactly what happened to make Cross leave the Fraternity? Who was Mr. X? How many people know how to curve bullets? Why are we forced not to care about trainloads of faceless civilian casualties? Is this one of those movies where the bad guys really won in the end?
          We put hockey on after the credits rolled, just in time to see the Stars' Garbutt scoop up a shorthanded, game-winning goal versus the Coyotes. Eventually, we transitioned to a boxing match between Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins and Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev. It was still early in the fight, third round at the latest, and we watched it to the end. Kovalev had the better of the older but legendary Hopkins, keeping him on the ropes for much of the fight, and landed some punches that would have left most people drooling on the floor. I read up a bit on the boxers afterward, and extend props to the Alien for his 12th-round adamantium chin and grit in the face of a younger, stronger, guileful competitor. Piqued, we hunted for MMA after this, but could find no channels that weren't payextra2watch, Instead, we put on The Matrix and enjoyed some new beers (the peppily carbonated, bitter but light Perpetual IPA for me!)
          Quotes of the day:
"Get them out of here! I only eat carbs!" - Kara
"Balling on a Budget. That's the new book I'm gonna write on personal finance." - Ryan L
"No one wants to know how much you practice, they just want you to make them feel something." - David, YBBB snare drummer
"You're making a statement here. And your statement is, 'Look how badass I am.'" - Nat, YBBB sousaphonist


No comments:

Post a Comment