I got up later than I'd like, but still with plenty of time to eat a proper breakfast and sign up for volunteer opportunities before leaving. I was stressing about my upcoming presentation in IPE, but it turned out the schedule got shifted around and I didn't have to deliver it right away. Constitutional Law was tense for another reason: everyone was paying close attention to the NU vs. Notre Dame score in Pittsburgh, the first round of March Madness. Prof. Tolley was in on it, asking us the score periodically and eventually suggesting a break so we could finish out the game. NU was down 65-67 with thirty seconds left and everyone held their breath, but we lost in a heartbreaker. Prof. Tolley ended class ahead of schedule.
I headed home to relax a bit, took a shower and then hustled to Blackman for a performance called In Our Name: A Play of the Torture Years. This was basically a historical fiction, or more accurately a summation, about what transpired at Guantanamo Bay. The program was jarring and uncomfortable, as expected, and very well done. I stuck around for the four panel speakers but bailed on the Q&A. I met Emily at the office to return some items and she provided me with numerous cater-style sandwiches; Jared appeared and we started to shit talk. Then Rachelle arrived, then Julia looking for her trumpet, and finally Nathan.
I returned home again, and finished a quiz for IPE (this time, 100% sober.) When the work was finished, I packed up and left for Julia's, encountering significant delays along the way. The trip to Allston is worth it for the good company, anyhow. First on the to-do list was to drink wine, then to drink vodka; Jennifer, Julia and I did a crossword puzzle with the exceedingly annoying gimmick of the letter Z being removed from certain words. The crossword format didn't need this kind of "improvement." Scout fell in love with my coat and curled up inside it. Later: Julia and I, last drinkers standing, continued to do so. We dictated to each other from our mystical book and put up a few posters in her room. I fell asleep to American Football.
Quotes of the day:
"I often think I should volunteer to lead a special dialogue to Asia for shopping... to show Americans how to spend lots of money. In vast quantities. I would be uniquely good at it. Though Professor Garcia would probably be better..." - Prof. Rodine-Hardy
"First of all, I know the case all of you really want to talk about is NU vs. ND." - Prof. Tolley
"Should we take a timeout?" - Prof. Tolley, surveying the class
"This is one of my all-time desert island favorite cases and I can't do it in 7 minutes..." - Prof. Tolley, re: U.S. v. Nixon, and why he was letting us out early
"...now we can go soak our sorrows - Prof. Tolley
No comments:
Post a Comment