Jennifer and I spent the early part of the day relaxing and napping due to hangover (more hers than mine.) Later on, I drank and watched the Democratic presidential nomination debate with Jared, Nathan, Alaric and Jess. Lowlight: Hillary Clinton invoking 9/11 to justify Wall Street funding / generate corporate toolship. That's the low road.
We watched Session 9 next, an effects-light and atmosphere-heavy horror film set in the enduringly creepy Danvers State Hospital, a former asylum that now squats abandoned, not far from here. The (rather plausible) plot focuses on an asbestos removal team and their presence in that building over the course of a few days. It's brooding, insidious, suggestive; the usual scare chords are left out, replaced instead with unsettling ambient drone music. Almost no violence is depicted on screen, and much of the action takes place in the daytime. I think it's safe to call this my new favorite horror movie. After this, Nathan and I started The Silence of the Lambs, but he crashed half an hour in. I, on the other hand, stayed up until noon shuffling through paper, decorating, and smoking. (The Rangers racked up another win, a 2-1 shootout against the Senators; that's eight straight.)
Quote of the day:
"Sacagawea dollar coins in yo' throat!" - Jennifer
No comments:
Post a Comment