Friday, November 27, 2015

Old Man River

          For our second morning in New York, my folks made blueberry pancakes and cooked ham! Around midday, Ian drove me and Jennifer to the village; we stopped at Slices to scarf pizza and garlic knots, and I finally fulfilled my craving for Joe Tea. (I was not paid for this endorsement. Shit is TIGHT.) We then wandered down Finger Street and took a right when we reached a crossroads, electing to walk down the hill to the lighthouse. We kept up a running conversation about the houses we passed -- there are a lot of charming homes down by the water, and the formless, hilly terrain here works against conformity in construction. From the road, we paused to admire the old houseboat, still sinking in that inlet on the Esopus Creek. The tide was high and the sky was murky; I brushed spiny water chestnuts off my shoes and tried not to get my feet too wet. Nearing the end of the trail, we ran into Rose, Parker and Katie C by chance. When we arrived at the lighthouse, we found a whole host of people occupying the deck and staked out our own spot for a few minutes. The Hudson flowed endlessly by. I think there will always be a piece of me here, too.
          We soon headed back to the village, the sun falling low in the sky. We met with Sam and Bree, her girlfriend, and the four of us settled into the easy chairs at Inquiring Mind, the coffee shop and bookstore. This place has character. It's been some time since I talked to Sam, and it was fun hearing about her escapades as a Virginia middle school teacher. (Hint: Not the best place to be a liberal.) I also realized that they, too, were selling Joe Tea, and purchased two for the road before the couples parted ways. Before long, we were off to the Blue Stone for a quiet, pleasant dinner with the family. The restaurant seemed nearly empty, which was how I wanted it.
          After dinner, Matt picked us up and brought us back to his place. He provided drinks, including a peach-flavored beverage which I foolishly accepted and gave me flashbacks to the last time I drank there. We played cards and watched The Descent, a legitimately frightening and well-paced horror film with plenty of twists. It's set in a cave, which is practically all you need to know. I just ranked Session 9 as my favorite in this realm, but The Descent takes a close second. Once we were safely home, Jennifer and I shared a pleasant evening together.
          Quote of the day:
"Peter would love anything that has the word marvel on it even if it was captain america farting for 2 hours straight" - Emily, via text

No comments:

Post a Comment