Thursday, November 12, 2015

Street Sweeper

          I had an ephemeral dream, the most vivid in some time. The story soon faded, but left behind discrete images like driftwood after the tide. I was walking around a version of Mission Hill, sort of adventuring or exploring, and found large webs strewn among the top branches of the tall, leafless trees. I don't think they were spiderwebs, because there was no fear; instead, a sense of wonder pervaded the dream. It appeared to be Halloween, and I ran into roving groups of students, though no costumes were in evidence. I passed AV and MSL; the latter was in his Rangers uniform and slap-shooting a ball into a Skeeball machine. I was looking for something, had the sensation that something momentous was happening.
          I hate to mention it in the context of such a brilliant, untethered dream, but right at the end I got a "Kudo" (the appreciation award at my job) from a senior colleague. That means this was my first dream about this job, a depressing milestone. It was overcast but refreshing outside, and I caught the 64 bus without a hitch a few blocks from Jennifer's apartment. I was inundated with an absurd amount of pharma news coverage, so the policy report took most of the day to complete. (Remember that this is a daily responsibility.)
          I came home, happy to have some time to myself, smoked and streamed the Rangers v. Blues game in my room. Blues goalie Jake Allen plainly got shelled, letting in three goals on five shots after his shutout streak that extended through multiple prior games. The Rangers won in convincing fashion, 6-3, to make it seven Ws in a row! A headache started to mess with me around this time, but I shook it off and ran to West A to deliver some face paint to Claire. Then, on to Matthews. It was pleasantly wet out, a tad cold but great for running.
          I needn't have hurried; we won our fourth broomball game by forfeit, bringing our record to 3-1. With the whole team on hand, we decided to play a 3v3 scrimmage, and I had more fun than in any game to date. Having less opponents to clog the defensive zone makes for a faster, looser game with more open ice. The game was rife with offensive rushes, quick-thinking defensive plays, and fine glove stops by Jake C; Jules had a great positional save off the rush after a tic-tac-toe passing sequence by me and Lizandro. I took a turn as goalie and kept calling to Maddie, now on the opposing team, for passes. (My goalie game needs serious work; the stick distracts me more than it helps.)
          Quote of the day:
"I don't trust a newspaper without a funnies section." - Jacob, re: The Wall Street Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment