Monday, November 9, 2015

The Pastoral Symphony

          I was on a tear at the office today, alternately researching and doing Drupal work for different clients, and the variety kept me feeling fresh. I was also anticipating my evening plans: Fantasia at the Coolidge with Julia, sensory alteration included. I got out as soon as possible and went to Julia's apartment on Hemenway to prepare. We headed for the Green Line in short order. At the theatre, we were directed into a room very different from the one where Sicario was shown; this was a soaring, well-kept chamber reminiscent of a concert hall, mezzanine, gilded molding and all. We took middling seats on the left side; we barely had to share our row at all, though a small child and his father sat just a few spots down. I think I saw this original version of Fantasia when I was very young, so I didn't have clear memory of much of it. The silver screen made it magical; the child near me seemed to be on the fence between awe and terror (especially during the "Night On Bald Mountain" vignette.) Toward the end I curled up entirely in my coat and got lost in the music. I love that old-school twinkling star animation especially. The walk back was a cold one, and we stopped at Cappy's (my first time there!) for a YUGE slice of pizza. We smoked briefly at Julia's apartment before I headed home, feeling fulfilled.
          Quotes of the day:
"My cat, today, was so rambunctious around 3 or 4 a.m., yowling. My wife and I were like, 'What do you waaant?!'" - Dean
"I broke my dresser yesterday. I mean, it's fine. But it's exposed. I kinda like it." - Julia
"I thought of the children." - Julia
"Can you imagine if your feet were that big? And that stiff?" - Julia
"I think my body moans. Through me." - Julia
"You've gotten gutsier over the years." - Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment