Monday, April 9, 2012

Adventures In the Visual Arts

          In American Gov today, we watched a pro-Richard Mourdock political ad, wherein Professor Urman assigned me to count flags and another student to count guns. There were four of each, as well as a photo of President Nixon and some wildlife. I'm not anti-hunting, but I love the premise of pro-hunting political commercials. Here we have a big, beautiful deer standing atop a ridge, looking to the distance; "protect the hunter's way of life," intones a voice. Why don't we see that deer getting blown away a second later, blood speckling the camera? BOOOM! The deer collapses to the ground and bleeds out. A hunter comes over and poses with it while his buddy takes a snapshot. I think this method would really boost the reality and impact of these ads. In other news, a girl walked in with five minutes left in the class. Professor Urman stared her down for the two minutes it took to get to her seat and things were pretty awkward for a few moments.
          My new shirt arrived in the mail, so I picked that up after class. This was an exciting development considering that I never shop for clothing. In the evening I attended Peace through Play's biannual Celebration, wherein we eat J.P. Licks ice cream and watch a slideshow of pictures from the semester. Afterward, Heather lovingly fashioned a small penis out of magenta Play-Doh and left it on my desk. I'll keep it around for now; perhaps it will be of some use to me.
          Quotes of the day:
"That's not America. We are not a sweater nation." - Professor Urman
"In basketball terms, Bush was basically getting dunked on by Clinton, and Clinton's crotch was in his face." - Professor Urman

No comments:

Post a Comment