Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Light At the End of the Tunnel

          Iris and I went to see Chris Guettel's musical, "Floyd Collins," at 539 Tremont. Guettel is best known for "The Light In the Piazza," and his bio in the program noted that he's known for his chromaticism. True to form, the musical was sometimes puzzling in its thematic idiosyncrasies. Even more unusually, it was set in 1925 Kentucky, everyone had a Southern accent and there was yodeling involved in much of the music. The tale is a true story of a caver who became wedged in a tight crevice while searching for a cavern to turn into a tourist attraction. The musical focuses on his struggle and how it affected the community, and it's an agonizing tragedy. On the audience level, the director sat immediately to my right and laughed long and loud at each funny line, which was irritating to say the least. Each actor was masterful in their role and I came away extremely satisfied by the work, if melancholy.
          The walk down Tremont from IV to the theater district is an interesting stroll. The change in levels of affluence from the run-down, sketch-tastic area near Northeastern to the fancy cafes and eateries near the Center for the Performing Arts is striking, to say the least. Iris and the rest of the A-Team joined me for Ip Man, which is the best martial arts movie I've ever seen. There wasn't even any wire fu! Credit goes to Logan for the recommendation.
          Quote of the day:
"This is so Asian, I don't even know if I can take it." - Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment