I was somewhat irked by the material covered in comparative politics today. Though I won't argue that the Arab Spring seems to be a change for the better in most areas that it's touched, the bias in its favor is out of control. My professor mentioned the marginalization of the Copts (Egyptian Christians) "despite the principles of the revolution." My immediate reaction was to question her knowledge of these so-called principles. Not all of those involved in these uprisings agree on what should be done, and no one can claim to know "the one reason why." American government was more pleasing. There, we had a spirited debate over the ethics of journalism; that is, where does one stop being a journalist and start being an American, or vice versa? We watched a fascinating round-table discussion of this issue involving a few well-known journalists, several military officers and then-Representative Newt Gingrich, among others. I always feel stimulated by that class, and it tends to put me in a good mood.
Some fun tidbits of information: Anthony has been recruited as a TF2 comrade. He mains with Pyro, and I foresee many good matches with him. I ran into Jaimie five times today, which must be a record. Lastly, the dining hall was playing some sort of choral music when I went in for lunch, which pleased me greatly. The music in IV is never bad. Later in the day, I spent a few hours helping Iris study for med micro. Laura, Alaric, Sean, Heather and I concluded the evening with a screening of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This was accompanied by an admittedly feeble cuddle session, but it's our first in a long time. Gone are the days of the first semester, where we would easily get 7 or 8 people piled on my bed. With luck, finals week will bring some quality chill time.
Quotes of the day:
"Muster the fucks." - Sean
"Gastrointestinal tract. Mouth to anus! Whoooooo!" - Iris
"If you have enough determination, a success will turn as democracy as possible." - girl giving a presentation in comparative politics
No comments:
Post a Comment