Monday, April 30, 2012

Freakonomics

          Today my father described his personal economic theories to me in detail, as he is wont to do from time to time. According to him, economics works in 100-year cycles of poverty and plenty; for example, since there was a depression in the 1920s and 30s, there will definitely be one in the 2020s and 30s. Also, national health care is a massive money grab by the government and not worth the effort, an interesting position for a Democrat. Inevitably this waxes into the story of how the little guy is kept down. This is disconcerting to me because I'm supposed to prove that false.
                    Being home is a massive adjustment. I'm back to my old milk-drinking ways, partly because it's not coming out of a tap and partly because my drink options are more limited. I can go back to walking around in my underwear, but this is heavily offset by the lack of wi-fi. The only internet-capable computer (which I am currently using) is an ancient machine from around 2002 with no webcam or gaming capabilities. Even the colors in the monitor are screwed up. It's weird not having friends within a two-minute walk, though Matt's is probably like ten. It's also difficult not eating whenever and reminding my father that I hate pickles and have from birth every time he puts them into something. Finally, I wish my house was as orderly as I kept my room in IV. I've got pack rat tendencies like the rest of my family, but I can keep them under control. With luck I'll be able to straighten things up a bit over the next couple of months and get the house looking as nice as it did for my graduation party. Who knows, perhaps I'll get to throw a little party before I head off for sophomore year.
          Quote of the day:
"Mitt Romney reminds me of every guy I hated in high school, all rolled into one." - Father

No comments:

Post a Comment