Saturday, April 27, 2013

Boston Prayers

          Alanna and I decided to spend her last day here at Castle Island, so we set off around noon. This time, we walked to Copley and took the bus, resolving to stop by the bombing memorial on the way back. The weather was better this time around, though it was a tad cold down by the water. We took pictures of airplanes flying in to Logan (#deep) and stuck out like sore thumbs. It was a fine alternative to sitting around 610 and cleaning. I was impressed with the memorial, especially the piles of shoes. I do have to ask: Why "#PrayForBoston"? Wouldn't "Pray For Boston" be that much more sincere and touching, without transforming it into an aspect of Twitter? When we got back to campus, we said our goodbyes for the summer. Nearly everyone is gone now.
          It's difficult to express just how much extra stuff I've been left with. Ryan took off around 4:30 today, which means I'm alone in 610, but the fridge and freezer are full. I brought no cookware, but have been left with probably 30 random kitchen implements, 3 plates, 3 cutting boards, 2 pans and a pot, as well as ~30 pieces of silverware. I brought 4 pieces of Tupperware and now have around 20 to 25; Eric's old microwave is now in my possession. Eric was probably the main culprit in this. He explicitly stated that he was leaving things; it seemed like a blessing at the time, but now I have to haul all of it home. Even so, the others share the blame. Sean was limited in what he could pack due to receiving a multitude of packages over the year and having to fly home; Ryan left a few things that he deemed unnecessary; Harrison left while no one else had begun to pack and probably abandoned some stuff; and Alaric tore out of the place without a second glance back.
          Disregarding all the extra loot, what actually pisses me off is the cleaning situation. No one lifted a finger to tidy up before they took off, meaning that it was left to me to vacuum the entire suite, clean the fridges for the second time, clean the stove that I used twice for the third time, sweep up the kitchen, throw out everyone's rotting food, take out all the recycling, and clean both bathrooms -- including the one that was in Alaric and Harrison's jurisdiction. Clearly, the ideal of everyone in the suite taking responsibility has not functioned in practice, and there will certainly be rules put in place next year to mitigate that. The upside of having all this to myself: getting to rock out on my speakers like never before, not having to worry about bothering suitemates.
          I enjoyed a final dinner for the academic year at Stetty East with Sabrina and the Delivery Man, who we bumped into there. Along with Iris, we hung out afterward, pleaded with Jaimie to come over (but were disappointed), and watched American Psycho while I packed. David appreciated it as I expected he would, particularly the business card scene. I'm grateful that I had some company this night, because packing up the entire place by myself would have been a lonely affair. Thus ends sophomore year.
          Quotes of the day:
"It smells like summer!" - Alanna
"...Hot Coed Pillow Fight 2013..." - The Delivery Man
"Oh yeah, Tetris'd it." - The Delivery Man, helping me pack

No comments:

Post a Comment